Thursday, November 17, 2011

Hey, stranger

Some number of weeks ago, in celebration of my Life-in Girlfriend's (LIGF) birthday, I decided to bake a cake from scratch. Now, this was my first time to attempt such a task, so I decided to keep it simple, making a basic chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. No frills. No funfetti. Just straight-up delicious.

The only problem was that, in addition to being all-around tasty, this cake was enormous. LIGF had invited some five people over for her birthday party, which was enough to consume roughly one third of the cake. This left the remainder for LIGF and me to eat on our own. Optimistic as ever, I was sure this was a feat that could be accomplished. But after about a week or so, the chocolate cake lost some of its appeal.

Despite writing for a blog devoted to doing the dishes, I'll admit that I do not run the cleanest of households, and it took about another week before I decided to finally throw out the masterpiece that I had made with tender, loving care.

So imagine my surprise tonight when I went to clean out the baking dish that had once held this scrumptious treat and saw a familiar face looking back at me from the crumbs (and from beyond the grave.)


I'm no psychic. I've never had an encounter on the astral plane. And I've certainly never had a visit from anyone who has moved on from this life and into the next. But, folks, I believe that right there is the face of none other than Ol' Dirty Bastard himself in my baking dish.

Gimme the cake, so I can take it away.

What could this possibly mean? Is Peanut the Kidnapper trying to tell me something from the big, bright Brooklyn Zoo in the sky? Maybe he has seen this blog and he approves. Maybe he has some helpful tips for cleaning my crack pipe. Maybe, just maybe, I made a stencil of ODB's face a couple nights ago and sprinkled cake crumbs over it so I could write yet another blog post around the famed Wu-Tang rapper.

Maybe I need some new ideas.
---
Shimmy shimmy SHIMMERING!
Cleaned: 4 forks, 4 spoons, 3 butter knives, 2 peelers, 1 PIZZA cutter, 1 cheese knife, 1 edged knife, 1 garlic press, 1 spatula, 1 wooden spoon, 1 pasta spoon thingy (What are they called? You know, with the teeth?), 4 cups (glass and plastic), 4 coffee mugs, 2 frying pans, 1 pot plus lid, 3 plates, 1 PIZZA tray, 2 containers plus lids, 1 blender plus lid, 1 haunted baking dish, 1 cutting board

Completion time: 26 minutes

Playlist: "The Pistol" by Dead Prez, "I'm Sorry I Sang on Your Hands That Have Been in the Grave" by Sunset Rubdown, "What Would I Want Sky" by Animal Collective, "Never Going Back Again" by Fleetwood Mac, "Looks Just Like the Sun" by Broken Social Scene, "Lifter" by Deftones


No comments:

Post a Comment